Common Reasons we use money to Relieve GUILT:
- Buying flowers for your wife because you feel ashamed for cheating on her.
- Paying for a full-time companion for your elderly mother because you feel like a bad daughter for not wanting to visit her daily.
- Sending a Christmas card to someone because they sent you one instead of mailing it because you would have whether or not they sent you one.
- Giving to relatives who ask financial help because you feel guilty you have more money than them.
- Allowing your son in his ‘20s to live with you rent free because you feel bad about working when he was young.
- Spending money on a diet plan that you know you won’t follow because of your binge eating.
- Keeping gifts that you don’t like, are broken, or hide because you would feel guilty if you got rid of them. See A Story About Overcoming Guilt.
- Buying your kids everything they want because you’ve chosen a job that requires a lot of your time.
Of course, it takes more than money to really relieve your guilt. Overcoming guilt is an “inner” job. See all my other blogs to understand why.
You can also contact Vickie Champion for a complimentary coaching and consulting session to overcome your guilt.