Every entrepreneur has obstacles to overcome and the people pleasers or niceaholics that operate a home-based business are no exception.
Here’s Some of the Disadvantages of People Pleasing Solopreneurs-
People Pleasers have a tendency to…
- Think the solution to most of their problems is to buckle down and work harder.
- Let clients over extend their deadlines.
- Worry far too much about what the client will think.
- Take on challenges outside their area of expertise just to please their customers.
- Underestimate the time it takes to accomplish a task.
- Under earn.
- Delay making decisions, fearing they will make mistakes.
- Wait to improve their website or change their marketing materials until everything is perfect.
- Volunteer too much.
- Refuse to ask for help or build a team even when they are drowning.
- Focus almost completely on the day-to-day tasks and are reluctant to set goals or make business plans.
- Accept more and more work without getting compensated for it.
- Want their work to be perfect more than they want it to be profitable.
- Attract clients who take advantage of their need to please.
- Skip thinking about the easiest, fastest way to do something.
A solopreneur has many challenges both innate to that career path and by the very nature of running any small business. But a people-pleasing solopreneur heaps many more challenges on themselves. The danger is that they eventually will cripple their business and end up with a life that is stressed, uninspired and void of any joy.
When you’re ready to learn to say no in a gentle way, check out my Painless Ways to Stop People Pleasing—How to Say NO and Still be Kind video series.
By Vickie Champion